What Is NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) | What Are The Benefits?
What Is NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine)?
N-Acetyl Cysteine is used by the body to help build antioxidants. Antioxidants are vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that protect and repair your cells from damage.
Cysteine is a semi-essential amino acid; it is considered "semi" because your body can only produce it from other amino acids. Cysteine is found in high protein foods like chicken, turkey, yogurt, cheese, eggs, sunflower seeds, and legumes. NAC is a supplement form of cysteine. Taking a NAC supplement can help the body replenish the most powerful antioxidant in your body which is glutathione.
What Are The Benefits Of NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine)?
Essential For Making Glutathione:
- N-Acetyl Cysteine is primarily used for its role in antioxidant production. NAC is necessary to replenish glutathione. Glutathione is one of the body's most important antioxidants. It is also essential for immune health and fight cellular damage. Glutathione has many other benefits like helping to relieve oxidative stress.
Helps Detoxify Kidney & Liver To Prevent Damage:
- NAC is important for your body's detoxification process; it can help prevent side effects of drugs as well as environmental toxins. Studies have shown that NAC prevent and reduce liver and kidney damage. Plus it has been shown to treat acetaminophen overdoses.
May Help Improve Mental Health Conditions:
- N-Acetyl Cysteine helps regulate the levels of glutamate which is the most important neurotransmitter in your brain. Glutamate is required for normal brain activity, excess glutamate and glutathione depletion can cause brain damage. This could contribute to mental health disorders like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, OCD, and substance use disorder. NAC may help decrease symptoms for people with bipolar disorder and depression. NAC can help regulate glutamate levels in the brain and may help with symptoms of mental health disorders and substance use.
May Help Improve Immune Function:
- NAC and glutathione will also help support your immune system health. Some studies have shown that supplementing with NAC resulted in a huge increase in immune function with an almost complete restoration of natural killer cells. NAC has also been shown to help reduce the symptoms and the duration of an illness. NAC's ability to increase glutathione levels may help to improve your immune function.
May Help Stabilize Blood Sugar:
- NAC may help stabilize blood sugar by decreasing inflammation in fat cells which will help improve insulin resistance. Once insulin receptors are health, they can properly remove sugar from your blood which will keep levels within normal range.